Friday 17 August 2007

Music in My Head

So here's the deal: I'm a very music oriented creature, I like listening to music..when I'm working, when I'm walking, when I'm in the shower..yes I know its weird but what can you do!

So during one of my unintentional moments of contemplation, I've reached the conclusion that most of the Arabic songs that I like..express defeat and anguish for the most part. I sat up straight so that the blood would have a smooth sail into my brains and hence get my thoughts in order, and I realized that most Arabic songs, the most "romantic" ones..express a feeling of pain for the loss of love..hmmm, why? you might ask..well, I think that we -Arabs- enjoy heartache, it's a genetic feature embedded in our DNA, our culture is one expressive of consecutive heartaches..both collective and individual, the stories of Qais and Laila, is an example of the individual, the story of Da7es wal Ghabra2 is one of the most renowned collective traditions of heartache, let alone the tragedies both we and our forefathers lived, from the loss of Al-Andalus to the invasion of Iraq.

So coming back to the present day..some of us aren't good to our hearts, some of us are intentional manipulators of others' hearts, it makes us feel better when we can decide if someone is happy or sad, some of us aren't even able to decide whether we want to be happy or sad, others are always victims, whether they really are or not. It is an embedded code in our genes..and it's reflected in our music, 7abeebi absar shoo malo..tarakni wo ra7..ma banam el leil...etc.

These lyrics sink in the deep corners of our minds, and we keep them in our psychological archives until our real lives cross the path of similarity with those hidden lyrics..and when they do, and instead of having emotional intelligence, we resort to the very silly game of emotional manipulation..we punish our loved ones..so we become the ones who leave..physically or mentally, for a short while or for good, and by doing so we create a stupid romantic tragedy where we become the heroes, and where the soundtrack is always on standby to be played, or; we are the one's who get the short end of the stick and are left..again with the soundtrack ready to be played, and by creating that romantic tragedy we convince ourselves of the virtue of pain, even if we really have no idea why we liked the person we left to begin with, or why we left them, the pain of loss cleanses us, even if loss wasn't that tragic, or was our fault..one way or another.

We enjoy heartache, and we like emotional deprivation, it makes us feel good, it makes us innocent..even if we really aren't, it proves us true to our hidden personalities, the personality of the emotionally oppressed, which might be part of a series of other kinds of oppression; political, social..etc, or the personality of the emotional dictator, which might be the only way we can really be "in control"..funny enough though, both alternate roles as days go by and neither is aware of the other's existence, but they both feed our collective feelings of defeat.

13 comments:

  1. I thought you might..welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) i like that u notice what i might like. thank you for the welcome back thing, life was never as busy with me as the last period!

    see you around

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think we enjoy heartache; we rather have a sense of emotional attachment compare to the west which is more practical..We “Arabs” have difficulty getting over and letting go of relationships and loved ones, our life comes to a complete halt, we spend more time than others crying over the “Atlal”, mourning and grieving losses in any form, so we produced a much larger, richer library of poetry and music as a reflection of this fact… And more than others we face such issues since in every aspect of our life, especially matters of the heart, we adhere to religion, traditions and rules similar to some extent to what stood between Qais and Laila, Jamil and Buthaina…., we follow a long list of dos and don’ts, 3aib, 7alal and 7aram, shou bi2oulou eljiran wel 2arayeb…!!We are not free to follow our hearts blindly so we are bound to come across pain; we resort to poetry, listen to music which express our emotions so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. يعنـي بتعطينـي عشـرة علـى عشـرة

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course..but don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay...Don't worry, not a word..
    My lips are sealed :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I'm not commenting on this piece alone. I actually disagree with some of what you wrote in it. I am just leaving this comment to say you have a great, deep blog and I hope you will keep it up.

    - T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tololy..I'm glad you like it, and welcome back from your North American adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm, it makes sense I guess, I don't agree completely, but I think people who are emotionally "stupid", will look for a format to use to deal with their issues, unfortunately the fall-back lyrics they have in mind are all tragic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's what I meant..many people's emotional litteracy is exclusivly based on "tragic songs". their relationships are always accompanied by top of the chart songs, they play the role of the singer or the person sung about.

    Emotional Litteracy..or there lack of..is as important as emotional intelligencr.

    ReplyDelete